Durham Habitat's repairs program is intended to help low-income Durham homeowners correct substandard housing conditions, which pose an imminent threat to life, safety, or accessibility. The program is not designed to meet emergency needs as it may take up to eight months for scheduling and repairs. The goals of the program are to protect Durham's current affordable housing stock and allow Durham residents to age in place with dignity.
In order to qualify you must:
- Be the owner and occupant of a home within Durham County.
- Have a repair that will address a health, safety, or accessibility need.
- Be willing to pay for a portion of the cost of your repair.
- Meet the income requirements based on the number of residents in your home. See the chart in Habitat’s Home Repair brochure.
Examples of home repairs:
- Ramps and railings
- Drainage and grading
- Heating and/or air conditioning
- Framing and exterior trim
- Gutters and downspouts
How to apply:
- Complete the application. To download and print the application, click here. To request that an application be mailed to you, please contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-682-0516 x117.
- Provide verification of all sources of income.
- Provide your most recent bank statement.
- Hand deliver or mail all documents to Habitat for Humanity of Durham at 215 N. Church St. Durham, NC 27701 or email all documents to email@example.com.
Due to the high demand for repairs and the time that it takes to process each request, there is no deadline to apply; applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Therefore it is important that you read through the application instructions carefully to ensure that the application is completed in its entirety as well as including the required documentation to process the application.
If you have any questions regarding home repairs, please call 919-682-0516 x117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view our printable Home Repair brochure, click here.
To view our printable Home Repair application, click here.