Volunteers are at the heart of Habitat for Humanity of Durham. Each year, 7,000 to 8,000 volunteers provide more than 25,000 hours of service to build and renovate 40+ homes. This gift of time saves Durham Habitat more than $325,000 in labor costs each year.
Durham Habitat is currently transitioning to a new online volunteer scheduling tool, Cervis. Please contact Anna if you have questions, challenges, or suggestions along the way at 919-724-5452. We need your help to make our new system smooth and easy to use.
What Can Volunteers Expect From Habitat?
- Safe Work Environments - Whether on a construction site, the ReStore, or at a special event, we will keep you safe. Safety orientations kick off every volunteer construction day, and safety equipment is provided.
- Productive Work Days - Everything you need (tools, supplies, and a work plan) will be waiting for you, and you'll be able to see tangible results of your work.
- Leadership - No experience is necessary, and we mean it. Our staff and volunteer crew leaders are trained to teach you everything you need to know.
- Patience, Perspective, and a Sense of Humor - We work hard, and we have fun doing it!
What Does Habitat Expect From Volunteers?
- Prompt Arrival - Promptly starting each volunteer shift ensures we can finish our homes on schedule and having everyone on hand for orientation makes our work sites safer and more efficient.
- Safety - Please use tools and equipment as instructed and adhere to safety procedures. Closed-toed shoes and a volunteer liability waiver are required before volunteering.
- Commitment - If you sign up, we count on you, and our families count on you!
- Flexibility - Sometimes weather doesn't cooperate, a task doesn't go exactly according to plan, or we need to refocus our efforts on a special project. Either way, it's cool. We make it work!