Durham Habitat’s repairs program is intended to help Durham homeowners with limited income correct substandard housing conditions, which pose an imminent threat to life, safety, or accessibility.
The program is not designed to meet emergency needs as it may take up to 12-15 months for scheduling and repairs. The goals of the program are to protect Durham’s current affordable housing stock and allow Durham residents to age in place with dignity.
Home Repairs Include:
- Ramps and railings – call the office to apply, 919-682-0516
- Drainage and grading
- Heating and/or air conditioning
- Framing and exterior trim
- Gutters and downspouts
In Order to Qualify You Must:
- Be the owner and occupant of a home within Durham County.
- Have a repair that will address a health, safety, or accessibility need.
- Meet the income requirements based on the number of residents in your home. See the chart in Habitat’s Home Repair brochure below.
- Provide a completed application packet. Your application will not be processed until ALL documents are provided.
How to Apply:
Please provide the following with your application:
- Verification of all sources of income (i.e. pay stubs, Social Security benefit letter, SSI letter, retirement benefit letter, etc.).
- A copy of your mortgage statement (if applicable).
- Two recent bank statements for all members of the household 18 years or older.
- A copy of a photo ID for applicant and all household members 18 years or older.
- A copy of your deed to show that you own the property.
Mail or hand deliver all documents to Habitat for Humanity of Durham at 215 N. Church St. Durham, NC 27701 (Hand deliveries accepted Tuesday-Thursday 9:00am – 4:30pm), or email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be processed. You will be notified via email that your application is incomplete.
Additional application details are available in this brochure.
Due to the high demand for repairs and the time that it takes to process each request, there is no deadline to apply; applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Therefore it is important that you read through the application instructions carefully to ensure that the application is completed in its entirety as well as including the required documentation to process the application.
If you have any questions regarding home repairs, please call 919-682-0516 or email email@example.com.
Those in need of immediate repairs may qualify for the Urgent Repair Program from the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency. For more information please call 919-682-0516 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the Home Repair brochure, click here.
To view the printable Home Repair application, click here.