We are not accepting nor mailing applications at this time. You may read through our qualifications below and complete the link "Request to Join Mailing List" to be added to our list. Once we reopen the application process, you will be contacted by email on how to qualify and apply.
Homeownership applicants must:
- Live or work in Durham County for at least 6 months
- Be A US Citizen or permanent resident
- Have a stable income of at least 30% of Durham's median income
- Be able to provide closing cost of $2,000.
- Demonstrate that your current housing is overcrowded, physically substandard, too expensive, unsafe or prove that you are living in subsidized housing
- Demonstrate a willingness to partner by performing at least 250 hours of sweat equity
If you are approved, you will be expected to:
- Invest a minimum of 250 sweat equity
- Complete a financial literacy program
- Make timely mortgage payments each month
- Maintain your home
- Be an active member of the Durham community
- Stay connected to Durham Habitat throughout the term of your mortgage
The 4 Step Process to Homeownership
Once we begin to accept applications, the homeownership process typically takes between six and twelve months.
1. Join our Mailing List
The information that you submit will be sent to us and placed on our mailing list. The mailing list let's us know that you would like to be invited to an information session.
2. Attend an Information Session
Once the application process is reopened, we will invite you to attend an information session to learn about our program and the requirements. At the end of the session you will have an opportunity to complete a pre-qualifying application and turn it in or mail it to our office.
If you are pre-qualified, Habitat will mail you the full Homeownership Application.
If you are not pre-qualified, Habitat will mail you a letter of explanation and suggested next steps. Families are welcomed and encouraged to start the process again upon resolution of denial issues.
3. Home Visit
If your Homeownership Application is approved, a volunteer on Durham Habitat's Family Selection Committee will contact you to schedule a home visit. Pending approval by this committee, your application will be referred to the Durham Habitat Board of Directors for final approval.
If your Homeownership Application is not approved, Habitat will mail you a letter of explanation and suggested next steps. Families are welcomed and encouraged to start the process again upon resolution of denial issues.
4. Final Approval
If you are approved by Durham Habitat's Board of Directors, you are invited to begin your partnership with Durham Habitat!
Please contact a member of our Family Services department at 919-682-0516, OR email@example.com with any questions.