Homeownership applicants must:
- Live or work in Durham County for at least 6 months
- Be A US Citizen or permanent resident
- Have a stable income of at least $1,458 per month, but earn less than 60% of Durham's median income
- Be able to provide closing cost of $2,000.
- Demonstrate that your current housing is overcrowded, physically substandard, too expensive, unsafe or prove that you are living in subsidized housing
- Demonstrate a willingness to partner by performing at least 250 hours of sweat equity
If you are approved, you will be expected to:
- Invest a minimum of 250 sweat equity
- Complete a financial literacy program
- Make timely mortgage payments each month
- Maintain your home
- Be an active member of the Durham community
- Stay connected to Durham Habitat throughout the term of your mortgage
The 4 Step Process to Homeownership
The homeownership process typically takes between six and twelve months.
1. Online Pre-Qualifying Application
Complete the online questionnaire below to express interest in Durham Habitat's homeownership program.
If you meet the initial requirements, a pre-qualifying application and an authorization and release form will be mailed to you.
If you do not meet the initial requirements, based on information submitted through the questionnaire, Durham Habitat will send an email stating the reason(s) for denial.
2. Paper Mortgage Application
If you are pre-qualified, Habitat will mail you the full Homeownership Application.
If you are not pre-qualified, Habitat will mail you a letter of explanation and suggested next steps. Families are welcomed and encouraged to start the process again upon resolution of denial issues.
3. Home Visit
If your Homeownership Application is approved, a volunteer on Durham Habitat's Family Selection Committee will contact you to schedule a home visit. Pending approval by this committee, your application will be referred to the Durham Habitat Board of Directors for final approval.
If your Homeownership Application is not approved, Habitat will mail you a letter of explanation and suggested next steps. Families are welcomed and encouraged to start the process again upon resolution of denial issues.
4. Final Approval
If you are approved by Durham Habitat's Board of Directors, you are invited to begin your partnership with Durham Habitat!
Please contact a member of our Family Services department at 919-682-0516, with any questions.