To our volunteers, donors, and friends – THANK YOU for supporting us this past year! We are just as eager as all of you are to begin phasing volunteers back onto our worksites. The safety of staff, homebuyers, and volunteers remains our number one priority. We will continue to follow CDC guidelines, so we ask those who are unable to comply with the information below to wait to rejoin us.
Phase 2 of the reopening plan begins the week of May 18th.
Construction Volunteer Phased Re-Opening Plan:
Phase 1 (Ongoing)
- A limited number of skilled volunteers invited to work on site.
- No new volunteers will be added to the worksites until construction staff has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated.
- Masks are to be worn on site and social distancing observed.
Phase 2 (Begins Week of May 18, 2021):
- We will welcome back fully vaccinated volunteers. A maximum of 4-6 volunteer spots will be available per site for exterior work. (See volunteer registration information for Giveffect below).
- Fully vaccinated partner families doing sweat equity will have 1-2 spots.
- Shifts will be available for registration beginning May 1st.
- Crews and volunteers will continue to follow CDC guidelines (updated as of April 27th):
-Volunteers working outdoors will not be required to wear masks, as long as social distance is maintained.
-Please bring a mask and keep it on you at all times so that you are prepared to use it when you can no longer maintain your distance, or you move indoors.
Phase 3 (estimated mid-June start):
- A maximum of 10 volunteers per site for exterior work and up to 4 people for interior work. The preference for fully vaccinated volunteers remains.
- CDC guidelines continue regarding masks and practicing social distancing on worksites.
Phase 4 (timing TBD):
- Larger groups allowed on worksites.
- CDC guidelines and safety protocols will be reviewed and adjusted as needed.
As we move into our phased reopening, please be aware of the following safety protocols:
We will continue to prioritize safety on Durham Habitat worksites. Volunteers who are not able to comply with these safety protocols will be asked to join us at a later date.
- While we will not ask for proof, it is our preference that fully vaccinated individuals past the two-week post-vaccination waiting period return to work with us.
- Crews and volunteers will continue to follow CDC guidelines (updated as of April 27th): Volunteers working outdoors will not be required to wear masks, as long as social distance is maintained. Please bring a mask and keep it on you at all times so that you are prepared to use it when you can no longer maintain your distance, or you move indoors.
- No one should come to site if they have been exposed to or are displaying any symptoms related to COVID-19; including, a cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, body aches, chills, fever or new loss of taste or smell.
- Volunteers are required to pre-register through Giveffect so that we can control the flow of people and know how many volunteers are working on each home. Volunteers who do not sign up in advance will be asked to join us at another time.
- To ensure proper social distancing, shift availability will be limited.
- There will be no shared water or food, and we request that all volunteers bring their own water bottle which can be refilled on site. No cups will be provided.
- There will be hand and tool sanitizer available at each worksite.
How to Register as a Volunteer & Sign-up for Volunteer Shifts:
- Before you can volunteer, you will need to complete the volunteer application and create an account through our volunteer system, Giveffect.
- If you had an account with us previously through CERVIS, you can merge your previous account data by creating a new account in Giveffect with the same name and email address. If you are uncertain if you had an account or cannot remember your account information for CERVIS, you can email email@example.com for more information.
- For step-by-step instructions on how to complete the volunteer application and create an account in our system, please check out this volunteer user’s guide for Giveffect.