COVID-19 Volunteer Status Update
While we are anxious to have our volunteers come back to work with us, we also want to be sure that we take care of each other and our community. Durham Habitat’s plan is to begin inviting volunteers back to work on our construction sites when NC gets to Phase 3 of reopening, and then only once we have assessed the situation in Durham to determine what is best and safest for all involved. We miss our beloved volunteers, but we will wait until the covid-19 numbers have improved to bring volunteers back to sites.
We anticipate starting with our homebuyers and regular, experienced volunteers, and then expanding to sponsor and partner groups when it is safe to do so. We will continue to monitor state and local guidelines and conditions and adjust our plans as necessary.
Please stay tuned, and thank you for supporting Habitat!
Please note: WE ARE NOT ABLE TO VERIFY COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS. If you would like to do Community Service with Habitat please contact the Habitat ReStore HERE
- Locations - We will add the locations to your build the Saturday before you are scheduled to build. You will also get an email with the location 24 hours before your scheduled shift. You can also sign back into your account once the locations are available to see where your build will be.
- Questions about location - Please email our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com for questions about volunteer locations.
What Can Volunteers Expect From Habitat?
- Safe Work Environments - Whether on a construction site, the ReStore, or at a special event, we will keep you safe. Safety orientations kick off every volunteer construction day, and safety equipment is provided.
- Productive Work Days - Everything you need (tools, supplies, and a work plan) will be waiting for you, and you'll be able to see tangible results of your work.
- Leadership - No experience is necessary, and we mean it. Our staff and volunteer crew leaders are trained to teach you everything you need to know.
- Patience, Perspective, and a Sense of Humor - We work hard, and we have fun doing it!
What Does Habitat Expect From Volunteers?
- Prompt Arrival - Promptly starting each volunteer shift ensures we can finish our homes on schedule and having everyone on hand for orientation makes our work sites safer and more efficient.
- Safety - Please use tools and equipment as instructed and adhere to safety procedures. Closed-toed shoes and a volunteer liability waiver are required before volunteering.
- Commitment - If you sign up, we count on you, and our families count on you!
- Flexibility - Sometimes weather doesn't cooperate, a task doesn't go exactly according to plan, or we need to refocus our efforts on a special project. Either way, it's cool. We make it work!
Want more information? Check out our Volunteer Handbook!