Your support powers innovative building
January 19, 2023
Over the past three years Durham Habitat has had the unique opportunity to build two new complete neighborhoods in east Durham through the Building Blocks initiative. Sixteen homes were built on Laurel Avenue and the finishing touches are being put on the last of 21 homes on North Plum Street and Morning Glory Avenue.
These communities of new Habitat Homeowners include different floor plans to accommodate the size and needs of each family, including two ADA homes.
With your support empty city blocks were transformed into thriving new communities! 37 local families now have a home of their own, with all of the health, economic, and educational benefits that come with homeownership.
The Building Blocks initiative was truly a community effort, with hundreds of volunteers working alongside Durham Habitat staff to build these homes. A partnership with Durham Housing Authority provided the land, and funding contributed by area corporations, businesses, community organizations and individuals like you made it all possible.
As we mark this milestone, we look ahead to our next builds knowing there is still a need for more affordable housing in Durham.
- Construction has begun on the first of seven new homes adjacent to the Plum Street and Morning Glory Avenue block, further expanding that community.
- Two more homes are in process on Scout Drive in Durham’s rapidly changing southside.
- The return of our Blitz Build where local builders will help us build three homes in northeast Durham in one week.
- We’ve forged an incredible new partnership with Mt. Vernon Baptist Church in Durham’s historically significant Hayti community. With your help we purchased a plot of land from Mt. Vernon that will be developed into 11 Habitat homes. This partnership is the first of its kind and represents an innovative way for faith communities to invest in strengthening the Durham community.
- Our most ambitious undertaking so far is yet to come! In 2024 we’re set to launch construction on a multiphase development in northeast Durham that will eventually contain 200+ homes.
Your contributions enable us to expand beyond the traditional model of new home construction into new ways of supporting affordable homeownership in our community. Thank you!