A Free Concert to Benefit Habitat for Humanity
Join us on Saturday, June 15th, 2013 a the Durham Central Park Pavilion for the Durham Community Concert Bands presentation of "The Sound of Music" a concert of musicals and sing-alongs led by opera soprano, Arsenia Soto. Food and Drink will be availabe from amazing Durham area food trucks--Bull City Burgers and Brewery, Full Street Wings Cafe, Localyogurt and Pie Pushers. This incredible, fun and free family event will graciouly be accepting donations to benefit Habitat of Durham. Please bring your friends, a lawn chair or blanket and join us!
Home Innovation Research Labs Recognizes 18 Green Builders of Excellence from across the Nation
“We’ve gone through a lot of changes in this last year – changes in the industry, in our company, and in the National Green Building Standard,” said Home Innovation Labs president and CEO Michael Luzier. “While all the changes have been extremely positive, we recognize it takes a lot for a company or an individual to ‘roll with the punches’ and persevere with the same level of enthusiasm and excellence in a certification program as rigorous as ours. That is why this year we were compelled to recognize the significant commitment to innovation and leadership in the residential construction industry that some of our NGBS Green Partners have displayed. We are truly impressed and inspired by what these companies and individuals are achieving in the field and the market transformation they are helping to accomplish.”
Home Innovation Research Labs is pleased to announce this year’s NGBS Green Partners of Excellence:
Builders & Remodelers:
- Adolfson & Peterson Construction; Charlotte, NC
- Alliance Residential; Phoenix, AZ
- Balfour Beatty Communities, Newtown Square, PA
- Habitat for Humanity Bay Waveland; Bay Saint Louis, MS
- Habitat for Humanity of Durham, Inc.; Durham, NC
- Habitat for Humanity of Wake County, Inc.; Raleigh, NC
- CF Evans, Orangeburg, SC
- Duffy Realty, LLC; Waltham, MA
- Greystar Development; Houston, TX
- Johnson Development Associates; Spartanburg, SC
- Homes by Dickerson; Raleigh, NC
- Manchester Green Homes; Oklahoma City, OK
- McCall Homes; Billings, MT
- Pardee Homes; Los Angeles, CA
- Paul Allen Homes; Albuquerque, NM
- Van Metre; Stoneridge, VA
- Westchase Construction, Ltd./Martin Fein Interests, Inc.; Houston, TX
- Zimmerman Properties Construction; Springfield, MO
Accredited Green Verifiers
- Steve Armstrong; Greensboro, NC
- Dondi Atwell; Austin, TX
- Robert Bolus; Charleston, SC
- Joe Gordon, Georgetown, DE
- Philip LaRocque; Guilderland, NY
- Shelly Leonard; Matthews, NC
- Chris Schwarzkopf; Valparaiso, IN
- Drew Wallace; Columbia, MO
- Drew Smith; Sarasota, FL
- Kalah Woerner; Tampa, FL
- Charlan Brock & Associates; Maitland, FL
- Meeks + Partners; Houston, TX
- The Housing Studio; Charlotte, NC
- John Barrows; Wainscott, NY
- Vivian Brooks, Executive Director, Boynton Beach Community Redevelopment Agency; Boynton Beach, FL
- Kendall Buck, Executive Officer, Home Builders & Remodelers Association of New Hampshire; Concord, NH
- Matthew Cooper, President, PEG Environmental Solutions; Fairfax, VA
- Jamie Hager, Southern Energy Management; Morrisville, NC
- Lynn Nacewicz, Director, Green Home Builders of the Triangle; Durham, NC
- Don Pratt, NGBS Consensus Committee Chairman; Auburn, MI
- Southern Energy Management; Morrisville, NC
- Steve Saunders, CEO, Tempo Mechanical, TexEnergy Solutions, and US Ecologic; Irving, TX
- Paul Sullivan; Newton, MA
- The Honorable Richard Berry, Mayor of Albuquerque, NM
- The Honorable Pamela Beidle, Delegate, Maryland State Legislature
- The Honorable Jack Markell, Governor of Delaware
- The Honorable Cathy Vitale, Delegate, Maryland State Legislature
Since the National Green Building Standard became the first and only residential green building rating system to be approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in January 2009, Home Innovation Research Labs has certified more than 6,200 single-family homes, nearly 600 multifamily buildings representing more than 12,600 apartments, and 19 residential land developments representing close to 1,300 lots.
For more information on the NGBS or the Home Innovation certification program, visit www.HomeInnovation.com/Green.
The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin was proud to sponsor and participate in the Running of the Bulls 8K race Saturday, June 1st, but their “partnership” is what race director, Kim Chapman Page considered most valuable.
“We like to engage with sponsors who are going to be more like a partner and that’s been the really special thing about the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin’s involvement in the Running of the Bulls 8K for the past three years,” Chapman Page said. “They help promote it, encourage participation, get volunteers out on the course – it’s a much bigger presence than just writing a check.”
The Running of the Bulls 8K is an annual road race throughout downtown Durham that supports different charity groups each year. It is organized by Bull City Running Co. and this year’s race proceeds will benefit Habitat for Humanity of Durham and the Boston One Fund.
AmeriCorps provides an opportunity for individuals to serve full-time with Habitat for Humanity to help meet the housing needs of communities and families in Durham.
Habitat for Humanity of Durham partners with the Corporation for National and Community Service to place AmeriCorps members with construction and repairs opportunities. AmeriCorps members serve in a variety of roles to help us operate more efficiently and effectively and serve more families.
AmeriCorps members serve for 11 months and receive a modest living allowance, healthcare, and an educational award at the completion of their service. The term of service will start in late August or early September.
2013-14 Americorps Oppportunities
To Apply or for More information
Contact Heather Graham at email@example.com or (919) 682-0516, ext. 101.
Please join us on Saturday June 1st at 11:30am for the Youth United, Be the Village and Durham United home build dedication event. There will be a dedication ceremony, music, food and fun for all ages in celebration of this exciting collaborative home build! The address for the party is 917 Chester St. Durham, NC 27701.
by Flo Johnston
Habitat for Humanity of Durham kicked off its Pink Ribbon Build last week in a special project intended to allow breast-cancer survivors, families and friends to honor health care professionals who provided compassion, kindness and warmth.
Margaret Allen is the home buyer for this year’s Pink Ribbon Build. Allen, a breast-cancer survivor, soon will celebrate her one-year anniversary of being cancer-free. Living in her Habitat home with her will be her granddaughter and great-grandson. Allen says providing a sense of future and stability for her great-grandson is one of the main reasons she wants to become a Habitat homeowner.
The Pink Ribbon Build is the brainchild of Margaret Rubiera, a longtime Habitat supporter and advocate, who fought cancer herself last year. She was inspired by the support that she received from the Duke Cancer Institute and wanted to honor these caregivers.
The house is located at 905 E. Ellerbee St. For more information about the work of Habitat visit durhamhabitat.org
Two ways to take action:
Habitat for Humanity of Durham's Youth United will host its annual Battle of the Bands on April 27 at 12 Noon at Motorco in Downtown Durham.
The event is sponsored by Merge Records, and proceeds benefit Durham Habitat's affordable housing efforts.
The storms and a chilling wet air didn’t keep Triangle CEOs away from this year’s annual Habitat for Humanity CEO Build. Habitat developed this program in 2011 in the Triangle, to bring leaders together to swing a hammer for those in need.