To apply, email our volunteer team a copy of your cover letter and resume. If you have any questions, please call 919-724-6101
Durham Habitat's repairs program is intended to help Durham homeowners with limited income correct substandard housing conditions, which pose an imminent threat to life, safety, or accessibility. The program is not designed to meet emergency needs as it may take up to eight months for scheduling and repairs. The goals of the program are to protect Durham's current affordable housing stock and allow Durham residents to age in place with dignity. This year Durham Habitat will help repair around 80 homes and next year our goal is up to 100 homes!
Our AmeriCorps members have helped us build capacity with the amount of families served. We are able to do more projects with their support in the field. Future AmeriCorps members will allow us to sustain this high level of impact and position us to grow more in coming years. Each member will be paired with a site supervisor, allowing more repair teams to be out in the field, which means more families receiving support in maintaining their home.
Typically home repairs include but are not limited to replacing floors, putting ramps on decks, replacing toilets and sinks and replacing roofs. AmeriCorps members will also work with small groups of volunteers on site. There is much less space when there are families already living in a home and so it can be difficult to fit a large amount of volunteers on a job site. It is very rewarding to work with small groups of volunteers as they serve in our older neighborhoods and meet some of our original residents in Durham.
- Monday – Friday
- 7:30 – 4:30
- Primary responsibilities include
- Assist with hands on construction tasks including demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry, and landscaping
- Help the repairs team repair 75 homes
- Help to lead volunteers on site
- Talk with homeowners, learn their stories, and be able to talk about those stories
- Build awareness of the repairs program at Habitat
The volunteer services coordinator helps recruit, train, schedule, and recognize volunteers while growing the volunteer base and advancing individual and group partnerships. The member assists with volunteer management, including orientation, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking and follow-up opportunities in construction, repairs, family services, special events and other needs that may arise. The member will also focus on growing the online presence and capacity of the affiliate including updating the website, growing the social media presence, and fostering volunteer growth through online channels including but not limited to email, Facebook, and twitter.
The member will also assist in running and increasing the capacity of the youth program for the affiliate. Curriculum and schedule were created during the 2017 – 2018 year. The member will focus on the scheduling of the program on a bi-monthly basis. In addition they will identify other sustainable ways to engage youth (ie. School programs, one time field trips, summer programs). Finally, assist the affiliate to increase the capacity of its college population. The member will develop a profile of the different college experiences that we offer through our affiliate including but not limited to collegiate challenges, campus chapters, university required community service, and week-long team-building experiences.
- Tuesday – Saturday
- 8:30 – 5:00
- Primary responsibilities include
- Assist with volunteer management including orientations, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking and follow up for opportunities in construction, office, family services and special events with other needs
- Grow the online presence and capacity of the affiliate including updating the website, growing the social media presence, and fostering volunteer growth through online channels including email, Facebook, and twitter
- Help update the affiliate website and identify how best to engage key groups including regular volunteers, crew leaders, and college age populations
- Increase the capacity of its college population by developing a profile of the different college experiences that we offer through our affiliate including but not limited to collegiate challenges, campus chapters, university required community service, and week-long team-building experiences
- Assist in running and increasing the capacity of the youth program for the affiliate including scheduling of the program on a bi-weekly basis and identifying other sustainable ways to engage youth